Under Manipur value Added Tax Rules, 2005
Rule 24. Manner of submission of periodical returns and payment of tax under section 28.
(1) The return to be submitted under section 28 shall be in the following manner covering the tax period shown against each :
(a) all registered dealers and dealers liable to pay tax with total turnover exceeding Rs. 3 lakhs but not exceeding 10 lakhs within twenty days from the close of a quarter (i.e. June, September, December, March) of the year;
(b) all registered dealers and dealers liable to pay tax with total turnover exceeding Rs. 10 lakhs within twenty days from the end of a month of the year;
(c) all casual dealers, all non-resident dealers or agent/agents of the non-resident dealers within twenty days from the end of a month of the year.
(2) A correct and complete tax return of a monthly or quarterly tax period shall be submitted in Form 10 before the Tax Authority of the business area of the dealer in the manner specified above.
(3) Every registered dealer and every dealer liable to pay tax shall furnish a correct and complete annual return in Form 10 within thirty days of the completion of the year in addition to the tax return furnished in sub-rule (2)
(4) In case of discovery of any omission or any other error in the return filed, the dealer may furnish a revised monthly/quarterly tax return or a revised annual return, as the case may be in Form 10 within sixty days from the date of submission of the monthly/quarterly tax return or the annual return, but not after a self assessment has been completed by the Tax Authority in respect of the period concerned:
Provided that, no revised monthly/quarterly tax return or revised annual return shall be entertained if the case has been taken up for audit assessment and notice to that effect has already been served on the dealer.
Under The Manipur Value Added tax Act, 2004
Section 58 Audit Accounts.-
(1) Where in any particular year, the gross turnover of a dealer exceeds Rs. 20,00,000/- or such other amount as the Commissioner may, by a notification in the Official Gazette specify, then such dealer shall get his accounts, in respect of that year audited by an accountant within six months from the end of that year and obtain a report of such audit in the prescribed form duly signed and verified by such accountant and setting forth such particulars as may be prescribed.
Under Department Notification No. Tax/3(40)/IMP/2005/ dated 13th Sept.,2010 the amount of the Gross turnover of a dealer, who shall get his accounts audited by an accountant, shall be above Rs. 60,00,000/-(sixty lakh). However, in case of works contract dealers this amount shall be Rs. 2,00,00,000/- (two crore) with effect from the year ending 2009-2010.
(2) A true copy of such report shall be furnished by such dealer to the Commissioner by the end of the month after expiry of the period of six months during which the audit would have been completed.
(3) If any dealer liable to get his accounts audited under sub-section (1) fails to get his accounts audited and furnish a true copy of the audit report within the time specified in sub-section (2), the Commissioner shall, after giving the dealer a reasonable opportunity of being heard, impose on him, in addition to any tax payable, a sum by way of penalty equal to 0.1% of the turnover as he may determine to the best of his judgment in respect of the said period.
For the purpose of this section, “Accountant” means a Chartered Accountant within the meaning of the Chartered Accountant Act, 1949 and includes a person who by virtue of the provisions of sub-section (2) of section 226 of the Companies Act, 1956, is entitled to be appointed to act as an auditor of Companies registered under the said Act.